Do You Require Planning Permission?

When a project falls outside of “Permitted Development Rights” Planning Permission may then be required to build.

Helpful information can be found at the Planning Portal.

We approach Planning Applications the same way we approach the design of a project.

We find the boundaries or constraints put in place by the local authorities by means of researching their local policy & any specific requirements for your area and or type of project.

For example some local authorities require a demonstration of how much shading an extension may create as part of the application, some would like to know the flooding risk, especially in the case of creating a new basement.

Once we have establish what the local authority requires we then work with or around this to ensure your application has the best chance of success.

For difficult applications we include a DAS (Design & Access Statement). This is predominately used to establish what considerations we have had in the design of a project and also for access of disabled users in the short & long term. However we also use this as a vehicle to discuss WHY your project complies with the local policies and MUST therefore be approved. If a refusal is subsequently given we have a robust basis on which to appeal, we have a high success rate in overturning refusals, mainly due to our research and groundwork in forming the application.

The following are some common application types:

Householder Planning Consent

This should be used for proposals to alter or enlarge a single house, including works within the boundary/garden of a house.

It should be used for projects such as:

  • Extensions
  • Conservatories
  • Loft conversions
  • Dormer windows
  • Garages, car ports and outbuildings

Please note that planning permission is not needed for all household building work. Under permitted development rules you can carry out a number of household building work projects, provided they meet certain limits and conditions.

Full Planning Consent

You should use this type of application to make a detailed planning application for development, excluding householder developments. Development includes building, engineering or other works, in, on, over or under land, or the making of any material change in the use of any buildings or other land.

As such it should be used for:

  • Any works relating to a flat
  • Applications to change the number of dwellings (flat conversions, building a separate house in the garden)
  • Changes of use to part or all of the property to non-residential (including business) uses
  • Anything outside the garden of the property (including stables if in a separate paddock)
Outline Planning Consent

Applications for outline planning permission seek to establish whether the scale and nature of a proposed development would be acceptable to the local planning authority, before a fully detailed proposal is put forward.

This type of planning application allows fewer details about the proposal to be submitted. Once outline permission has been granted, you will need to ask for approval of the details (“reserved matters”) before work can start. These details will be the subject of a “reserved matters” application at a later stage.

Conservation Area Consent

If you live in a conservation area, you will need conservation area consent to do the following:

  • Demolish a building with a volume of more than 115 cubic metres. There are a few exceptions – you can get further information from the relevant council.
  • To demolish a gate, fence, wall or railing more than one metre high next to a highway (including a public footpath or bridleway) or public open space; or more than two metres high elsewhere

There are certain exemptions from the general requirement to seek conservation area consent for the demolition of buildings in conservation areas.

Listed Building Consent

You will need to apply for listed building consent if either of the following cases apply:

  • You want to demolish a listed building
  • You want to alter or extend a listed building in a manner which would affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest
  • You may also need listed building consent for any works to separate buildings within the grounds of a listed building.

Check the position carefully with the council – it is a criminal offence to carry out work which needs listed building consent without obtaining it beforehand.

(The information relating to types of applications has been taken from